Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Book Review: Chocolates for Breakfast

First as always let me state that I do not own the right to any of the image/s used in my blog. They were provided by Google search.

Chocolates for Breakfast
Introduction
Strangely enough, I came across this book on cosmopolitan magazine's website; in an article (which I cannot now find) involving something along the lines "love these tv shows? try these books out which are similar". This book "Chocolate for Breakfast"  was compared to the popular tv show "gossip girl". Now I am not a die hard "Gossip Girl" fan but I have seen some episodes on netflix and didn't think it was to bad. So I thought I would give this book a try. I downloaded it on my kindle via amazon and started reading right away.

I am not sure, if I have ever really read a book quite like this before. Obviously this book has more a "formal" tone to it and I usually reads books which are more "informal" but this book was written in the 1950's, so obviously there are many different "cultural" or "society based" things in this book which are not current has the current year is, 2014.

Over all, I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. Why you might ask? Well obviously, if you are reading this review you are wondering what my opinion of this book is or maybe what it is even about.

Let me start out by saying for those people out there who are "recovering" from any sort of "self harm addiction" or "suicidal tendencies" I wouldn't recommend this book for you. All though the book's main character is in fact a girl the ages of 15 and 16, in my opinion this is a "mature book" and this book defiantly has some "mature subject matter".  Now obviously, you can do what you want to do and read this book if you so choose but please keep this in mind. I don't think this book really "encourages" sucicide or self harm or alcoholic behavior but still to be on the safe side, I thought I would mention that.

Chocolates for Breakfast

Summary
I had a hard time reading this book at first because it is a bit "depressing". The main character starts out being a trouble 15 year old Named Courtney who live at a boarding school with her only friend Janet. Courtney has trouble relating to most "young people" her age and her friend Janet who is a "partying socialite" encourages her to hang out with people her own age or at least closer to her age, go on dates with boys, drink and smoke cigarettes and most importantly "start a love affair" or loose her virginity.

While at the boarding school, she is rather close with an older woman named Miss Rosen,who is her "English teacher". Janet accuses her of having a "homosexual relationship" with the women which is false. The older English teacher, breaks off the relationship stating that she needs to talk to people her own age and it is unhealthy to talk to be who are so much older than her.

Her mother Sondra pulls her out of boarding school because she is "depressed" and not really getting along with the younger students. Sondra is an alcoholic, youth obsessed, divorce and just happens to be a washed up actress.

Her mother and father really haven't treated her as a child probably ever in her entire life. So to help her Mother and to cope with her every changing environment, she assumes the role of the "care giver" and thinks of herself mostly as an "adult" though through out most of the book everyone refers her as a "child". At first she detests to this but eventually she accepts this.

She is introduced another washed up actor and supposed "homosexual' has a brief moment with a her Mother's agent (whom is much older) and family friend. She looses her virginity the "gay actor" and has a love affair in secret with him for a while. All the while, her Mother can't seem to find any work in hollywood and they are increasing debut.
Chocolate pela Manhã

She eventually breaks off the affair with "older gay actor" and her Mother move to herself move to New York so she can get a "change of scenery" and also her Mother can see if she can get some acting work on television there.

While she is in New York, she meets up with Janet whom after being kicked out every boarding school you can think of is living with her abusive and alcoholic father and her mother who is rarely there and lives in a mental asylum.

Janet and Courtney take to partying with "Yalies" young men who either dropped out of Yale or who attended Yale. They drink constantly go on many dates with different "Yalies". Janet is pretty much labeled as a "slut" for the most part.

Janet introduces Courtney to Anthony a strange and very rich gentlemen. At first, Anthony out right scares Courtney with his "odd way of speaking and thinking". He talks almost in riddles, at talks openly about "strange" or "taboo" social subjects such as :homosexuality, ect. He wants to have an affair with Courtney and at first she refuse but eventually they do have a "fling". Most of their relationship is kept in secret, especially from Janet whom also had an affair with him.

She also meets a "straight arrow" guy who is also a "yalie" named Charles who she finds "snobby" and a bit annoying at times but grows to like him very much.

Janet has a very large fight with her Father so she stays with Courtney and Sondra for a while and all though she "lives there" she is rarely around because of Janet's moving in with her she starts seeing Charles more and more as a "cover" at first and sees Anthony less and less.


Sondra being a bit of a "control freak" or a "perfectionist" tells Courtney that she wants her to move out because of her "messiness" and she doesn't think that she is a good "influence" on Courtney.




Unfortunately, soon after Janet moves back in with her Father they get into a physical altercation (also after one of her boyfriend's breaks it off with Janet). This event results in Janet committing suicide.

Courtney of course is devastated by this and becomes a bit isolated after this. The book ends with her breaking up with Anthony who earlier on confesses that "he can never love her because he doesn't even love himself" and the book suggest that she ends up with Charles. She also makes the decision to no longer have "casual love affairs" and to stop "drinking to heavily and partying" for Janet.


Review

I enjoyed this book very much. I think this book is one of those book that will always be relevant. Being that the subject matter will always be relevant, this book is about depression, the struggle to find yourself, sexuality and the very real struggle in life to grow up.

I was surprised when Janet ended her life and of course sadden. I was secretly rooting for Anthony and Courtney to some how work out but you can't "change a tiger's stripes" and I suppose he was just to damaged.

This is such a great book! It is really worth the read and I would read it again in a heart beat!

Extra Bit



There is some  controversy surrounding the woman who wrote this book's life and all honestly I am not going to state my opinion on "suicide" stating that it is "right" or "wrong" really to me it is just a very sad thing.

Pamela Moore's story is a sad one and if you'd like to know more about her feel free to google her or even read this book ; there is plenty of information about her out there.

The fact that Pamela Moore committed suicide did not take away anything from this book to me! In fact, it interested me more to learn more about her and read her work.

Many great artists are often "pained" and I know many people believe that these people often make the best "art". As for myself, I'm unsure but I do enjoy this book very much and it was interesting at the end of the book to read her son's word about his Mother in the "foreword".


I hope you all enjoyed my review and thank you for reading,

Alaskan Book Girl aka Kylia


No comments:

Post a Comment