Thursday, October 9, 2014

City of Ashes-The Mortal Instruments Series: Mini Book Review


City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)



Introduction 
So, if you haven't guess by the title of this review: this is the second book in the series of The Mortal Instruments. I read this book rather quickly, just as I has read the first one pretty quickly as well.

Sorry, this review has been long awaited. Life gets in the way and all that jazz. Promises I'll be posting more reviews soon!

Summary

So this book starts right where it left off in the last book. Clary's mother is still in a coma, Jace and Clary found out that they are "related" aka brother and sister but are still passionately in love with each other (gross), Simon is still in love with Clary so in an effort to maybe "forget Jace" she and Simon start sort of dating, Alec and Magnus are in a "secret relationship" which everyone but his parents know about. Also, Valentine is still being a jerk trying to kill all "downworlders" and "demons" as well as destroy the Clave and everything it stands for by collecting all of the mortal instruments.

A lot, of things happen in this book which are "unexpected". In this book the Author goes more into detail about "The Fairy Realm" which is interesting. Different type of Demon's are introduced and of course more than ever more drama is a foot.

That's all I will say really for a "summary" of this book if you are looking for more "details" about the series as a whole feel free to check out my last review on the first book in the series.

Review

I must admit, that I didn't like this book as much as I liked the first book in the series.

I found it annoying and a bit "repetitive" the relationship between Clary and Jace. So, as "discovered" in the last book when Valentine revealed that he is in fact both Clary and Jace's biological Father (Which frankly I don't know why anyone listens to him. He's an evil prick but I digress) So basically most of this book, Clary and Jace try to "fight" their feelings for each other because they are "related" and it's clear as day to everyone that they are in love with each other.
  *Spoiler* At one point after they share a somewhat "forced" kiss Jace suggests that they share a "secret relationship" together but Clary turns him down. After that point they pretty much spent the rest of the book either avoiding each other or being mean to each other. Which is pretty lame. I kept waiting for it be revealed that aren't actually related. There were two points in the book when I actually thought it might happen :Once with Imogen "The Inquisitor" who I am pretty sure is his Grandmother or is related to him some how who was killed before she could confess anything, and another time with Valentine who it seemed like was going to confess the truth to Clary but just so happen to be interrupted by an "epic" battle scene. *End Spoiler*

Let me just say one more thing before, I end this "quicky" review (well maybe one than one thing) The one thing I did enjoy about this book was learning more about Clary's Mother and her relationship with Lucian. The author goes into more detail about Lucian's turning into a werewolf and his "struggle" I found that quite interesting. I also, liked the introduction to the character Maia Roberts and her relationship dynamic with Simon. I'm interested to see where there relationship goes.

As for Clary's and Simons "relationship" well I won't go into much detail but I disliked it. Maybe it was the Authors point to make their interactions "awkward" in that case she did a good job otherwise well, yeah like I was awkward.. Clary was just trying to get over Jace by using her best friend which is of course is not cool at all. Still, like I said I'll be happy if Simon manages to get the girl Maia even though they have this weird dynamic of him being a vampire and her being a werewolf.


Thanks for reading everyone! Sorry this review was such a quickie! I have something in the works that I think many will you enjoy so look forward to that soon!

Ta ta,

Kiki aka Alaska Book Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment