Thursday, October 30, 2014

Author Interview:Kelly D. Smith (Princess)

o
Introduction:
So today, I am going to be doing something a little different today on my blog. I am going to be sharing a interview I did with the lovely Author Kelly D. Smith! So, I can give you guys the scoop on her book and maybe just learn a little bit more about this awesome lady. 


Interview/Questions
So Kelly, This is your first novel correct? What other sort of projects do you have in the works? 
Yes, this is my first full length work. As for other things I am working on, at the moment I've got another romance in the works. This time a paranormal one that fallows the daughter of the Devil as she makes her first trip to earth in hopes of becoming a demon hunter for her father. 

I think most people (myself included) are wondering what inspired you to write this book? 
Princess was inspired by a show I was watching that showed how spoiled people act in this day and age. Often times they are referred to as “princess’s”. I’d been toying with the idea of writing a romance that involved a wealthy character and after watching the show I decided I wanted to have a villain that was exactly like the people on the show. After that, everything just kind got put into place. 

What is your writing process like? Do you have any tips of aspiring writers about this process? 
Most days I wake up, work out and tidy the house. I walk the dogs, do some marketing and then get some reading done until around noon. Then, I get on my computer for work. I write from 12-5 each day and have a minimum word count of 2000 a day, and 10,000 a week.
As for tips for aspiring writers my best tip is to read. By reading other peoples work you will realize what is and is not good, and the better content you read the better your writing will be. For those who want to become authors, I encourage you to finish something and submit it! You will learn so many things from just finishing your novel, editing it and submitting it. Things you will never be able to learn form a book.

Another thing, which I know many aspiring writers are probably interested to know is more about the publishing process. Do you have any tips or tricks about going publishing? 
Honestly there are no tricks to the publishing world, at least none I've found (if anyone happens to know any please share!) but there are 3 things I suggest:
1) Write as much as you can
2) surround yourself with other writers/authors. Trust me, it helps keep you sane. 
3) Submit as many things as you can. I've gotten countless writing jobs and my first two contracts because I just kept trying. It didn't even occur to me not to try, even though I didn’t feel like my content was anywhere near amazing. But most of the time it pays off in some way. I once heard that the more manuscripts you send out the grater you increase your chances of getting accepted, and for some reason that has always stuck with me. 


Do you have any tips of marketing or promoting your book? How do you go about doing so? Marketing is hard! The best thing you can you though is to just keep trying. It’s like I said about the more things you send out the better your chances. 
Lots of book blogs accept authors, either in book reviews or guest posting. You can always pay for marketing, or ask friends and family to help. And, as I am sure everyone knows, work social media as much as you can without being annoying!

Can you sum up your main character Becky's relationship with John. Of course without relieving too much. Just tell us more! 
I would like to think that Becky and John have a very real, though passionate, relationship. Yes things move a little faster than they normally would but John and Becky are drawn to each other in a way that they’ve never been drawn to anyone else. 

Becky seems like a very down earth gal. Was your plan initially to make her this way?
 It was, I just hope I did it well enough! 

So your book "Princess" is in the Romance/Erotica genre. My question for you is have you always been a fan of romance books and movies? Also, do you think that you are romantic person in real life? 
Actually both answers are no. I find I’m not really the typical romance type and I didn’t start reading romance books (or watching movies) until about 2 years ago. I guess I was a bit of a late bloomer. 

Which actors/actresses (if any) could you picture playing your characters in a movie adaption?
I would love to see Emma Stone in one of my paranormal ones, but I think Amanda Baynes or Kristin Chenoweth would really bring my characters to life.

Kelly did you always know that you wanted to be a writer?
Since I was 14.

Who are your biggest influences when it comes to writing? Any favorite books or Authors you'd like to mention? 
My biggest influences would have to be the book I am reading at any given time. Authors I love would be Brent Weeks, A. Lee Martinez and Lilith Saintcrow. 

Do you have a lot of contact with your fans? What is the nicest thing one of your fans has said to you? 
I try to connect with every person who talks to me, either through my blogs, my Facebook or anything else I have. I can’t think of any one thing that someone has said to me, but I love knowing that people enjoy my writing. 

What formats can your book be currently purchased on? (E-read, paper back,etc) 
Currently, Ebook but a paperback edition will be coming out early next year! 

Is there anything you'd like to add that I happened to miss?
There is one quick thing. I got a really good question from someone on my Facebook page and I wanted to answer it. 
The question was: what is writing like?
The answer: Writing is like creating your own video game, movie or even entire world. It is crazy as you watch you character create themselves from the basics you give them, they grow up and are thrust into positions you well, can only imagine! It’s an escape from the boring day-to-day events or it’s just a way to relax. 
Writing is not the same for everyone but I know that for me, without writing I wouldn't have a passion. 


Well, Thank you Kelly for taking the time to be interview. I really appreciate and I wish you the best success in you written endeavors! 
And thank you very much for having me, I look forward to coming back, hopefully! Thank you so much for all the help!


Thank you all for reading and as always happy reading,

Kiki aka Alaska Book Girl!

Business email/Contact: alaskanbookgirl55@gmail.com 

Publishers site(purchase the book here):

Goodreads:

Blog:
What other sort of projects do you have in the works? Yes, this is my first 

No comments:

Post a Comment